This position works directly with the youth of our Wraparound program, mentors are expected to build trusting relationships with their youth.
Caring and compassionate attitude when interacting with and caring for children
Strong verbal communication and listening skills to converse with children, caregivers and parents
Excellent patience and stamina for keeping up with the demands your identified youth.
Valid unrestricted, state-appropriate driver’s license
Must have reliable transportation and current vehicle insurance
Department of Justice/Fingerprint clearance
Child Abuse Index clearance
Mandated Reporter Training (can be provided by company)
First Aid/CPR Training (can be provided by company)
Essential Functions of a Mentor:
1. Be a friend.
2. Have realistic goals and expectations.
3. Have fun together.
4. Give your mentee voice and choice in deciding on activities.
5. Be positive.
6. Let your mentee have much of the control over what the two of you talk about—and how you talk about it.
8. Respect the trust your mentee places in you.
9. Remember that your relationship is with the youth, not the youth’s parents.
10. Remember that you are responsible for building the relationship.